The garage door is an important part of a home. It is the largest moving object in a house, and it needs to be in good shape at all times. To open and close the gate, the garage door system uses springs. These are mounted above or on either side of the door and work to counterbalance its weight.
There are two main types of garage door springs: torsion and extension. In this article, we will learn about these two springs, the main difference between them, and what’s the best one. Keep reading to discover more!
Torsion Spring vs. Extension Springs
Springs are designed to create torque. This is the force that helps garage doors open and closes smoothly. Torsion springs are mounted on a metal rod above the garage door opening. As the garage door closes, the springs twist and wind up. This stores energy that will be released when the garage door is opened.
On the other hand, extension springs are placed on either side of the garage door and stretch out as the gate closes and contract when it opens.
Pros and Cons of Torsion and Extension Springs
They do the same, but not in the same way. Here are some advantages and drawbacks of each type so that you can make a more informed decision:
- Torsion springs are safer than extension springs. Torsion springs are under more tension but are better designed to handle the stress.
- They last longer than extension springs, usually around 10,000 cycles (one cycle is one opening and closing of the garage door).
- Torsion springs are less likely to lose their tension over time and can be adjusted if needed.
- They are more expensive than extension springs, but it’s worth it.
- They require professional garage door maintenance to enhance their performance.
- Extension springs are more affordable than torsion springs, making them a popular choice for garage owners on a budget.
- They are easy to install, and DIY enthusiasts can easily perform the garage door replacement.
- They are more prone to breakage than torsion springs, leading to garage door malfunctions and costly repairs.
- Extension springs require regular garage door maintenance to maintain their performance and prevent issues like garage door jamming.
If you’re unsure which spring is the best for your garage, consider hiring a garage door expert like Southwest Garage Door.
Hire Southwest Garage Door for Professional Services
With over 8 years of experience in garage door maintenance, repairs, and replacement, Southwest Garage Doors is the most trusted garage doors company in Phoenix, AZ.
Avoid garage door broken springs or expensive garage door replacement by scheduling regular maintenance with us. We will thoroughly inspect your system to ensure they are in good working order. Contact us today for reliable garage door services.
CONTACT US TODAY!