Although they are made to withstand extreme weather conditions, even the best garage door can begin to show signs of aging over time. There are many reasons why garage doors might crack, but let’s take a look at the most common ones.
Common Reasons Why Garage Doors Crack
- Your car: Moving from your parking spot and hitting the garage door happens more regularly than you’d think. While garage doors are designed to be durable, a good hard hit can leave a noticeable crack.
- Hot and cold temperatures: Garage doors are exposed to the weather. Extreme temperature changes can cause the materials to expand and contract, leading to cracks.
- Age: Just like everything else, garage doors have a lifespan. Depending on the materials’ quality, garage doors can last from 15 to 30 years. Garage doors will naturally start to show signs of wear and tear, including cracks with time and use.
- Water: Stagnant water can cause garage doors to warp and crack. If your garage is prone to moisture, it’s important to take steps to protect your door.
- Improper installation: Your garage door can lead to cracks or have other structural problems if it is not installed properly. Make sure you hire a qualified professional to install your garage door.
While these are some of the most common reasons garage doors crack, other factors can contribute to the problem. Now that you know what can cause garage doors to break, what should you do to avoid garage door cracks?
Avoiding Cracked Garage Doors
Regular garage door maintenance is the best way to avoid cracked garage doors. Checking the door for damage and repairing as needed will avoid bigger problems and costs.
You should also take steps to protect your garage door from the weather. If you live in an area with extreme temperatures, install a garage door insulation kit to help keep the door from expanding and contracting.
Last but not least, make sure you install your garage door correctly. Hiring a qualified professional ensures that your garage door is installed properly and is safe and stable.
Find The Best Garage Door Services at Southwest Garage Doors
We are garage door maintenance and repair experts. Our team at Southwest Garage Doors will help you with your garage door cracks and any other issue you may have. We have been providing homeowners all over Arizona with the top-quality service they deserve for over 8 years.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
Leave A Comment